Often I find myself engaging in a challenge just because it’s staring me in the face and something rattling around in my subconscious quietly, politely, and with love screams “JUST DO IT, ALREADY! What have you got to lose? Get over yourself! Sheesh.” (Oh, Nike you have invaded the popular psyche and my own – P.S. love your tennis skirts, could you maybe stop playing hard to get and actually sell them in all of your stores? Just asking.)
Obviously, such mild self-encouragement made me think, “You know, I should enter Project Food Blog.” And so, here we are, Project Food Blog, Challenge No. 1. This first challenge narrows a field of 1843 to 400 (gulp) and the list of who will advance to the next challenge will be posted on September 24 – my birthday. (Let’s make it a good one people, voting opens Sept. 20 – check out my profile here and vote here).
In an interview-questions-you-hate-style, the first challenge requires an answer to the questions: “What defines you as a food blogger and why should you be the next food blog star?” (My most hated interview question: “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” Because, I’m pretty sure, “In your job” is not the right answer.)
Defining Me (as a food blogger)
What I am:
- In love with food, especially the consumption of it.
- A believer that butter makes everything better, but sometimes you have to use Pam so you can still fit in your favorite jeans.
- Someone who loves to eat out, a lot, and share restaurant, patisserie, and taco truck finds with others.
- A hostess. Give me people wanting to be fed and I will concoct a night to remember. Menu planning, table setting, cooking and baking, it’s my favorite form of relaxation (but can someone else clean up when I’m finished, please).
- A traveling foodie. Whether you call it wanderlust or restlessness, it gets me out-of-town and around the world which means one week I could be posting at home in Seattle, the next in Southern California, and the next in Paris or Vancouver or even from the Indy 500. You just never know.
- A writer at heart.
Why I Should Be the Next Food Blog Star
- Star Quality, baby. As a member of Screen Actor’s Guild, I even have some credentials to back up that audacious claim 😉
- I face the same struggles as most. I work, a lot. I travel for work. I care about my health and my weight. But I’m also really into food and entertaining. As a result, I’m constantly on the lookout for ways to put healthy, fresh, fabulous low-cal meals on the table quickly, places to eat out when I feel like a treat, places that leave me satisfied without making my scale screech, and recipes that make my guests feel welcome and pampered. The whole world of food is of interest to me and I explore every nook and cranny.
- Curiosity – it may have killed the cat, but it makes for a better blogger.
- And last, but not least, I would really like to be.