• TheNudieFoodies.com
  • Legalese

    Like my stuff? Hurray! Feel free to link to me. But let's talk before you borrow or reprint. You can contact me at oc2seattle@gmail.com. Creative Commons License
    OC2Seattle by OC2Seattle is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
  • Advertisements

Rain Delays at the US Open

On Wednesday, as Kate and I were shopping in SOHO, I received an e-mail from Puget Sound Susan G. Komen, a breast cancer charity I volunteer with, informing all volunteers that PINK had generously donated 50 tickets to her upcoming concert for volunteers to enjoy.  Now Kate and I had planned on going to this concert but it was sold out (it subsequently switched to a larger venue, but I still had not bought tickets yet) so this e-mail was like a winning lottery ticket.  I immediately e-mailed back to request 2 tickets and 30 minutes later they were ours!  We celebrated with mini-songs about free PINK tickets and went along with our day.  Later, Kate said that she knew then that things were going too well.

At 2am Thursday morning my husband arrived from Seattle and at 10 am we headed to the US Open.  The day started off with the Williams sisters dominating the women’s doubles semi-finals and with a bitter cold wind.  Sweatshirts were donned.  Next up was the mixed-doubles finals which turned out to be a really amazing match with a wild card entry (Parrott/Gullickson) upsetting the defending champions (Paes/Black) to win the US Open Mixed Doubles trophy and prize money.  The most amazing part was that Parrott had picked Gullickson as his partner only two days before the tournament started! 

Last but not least, was the men’s quarterfinals match between Del Portro and Cilic.  By this time the weather had gone from bad to ugly.  So ugly in fact that half the stadium was empty before the match concluded.  We had another stroke of luck at that point with the distribution of courtside passes that allowed us to view the final 2 games 5 rows from the court!

And then our luck turned.  Rain came in Thursday night, interrupting and then suspending the Nadal-Gonzalez match.  The rain continued throughout Friday, pushing our semi-finals tickets from Saturday to Sunday and our just bought at over value through Craig’s list tickets from Sunday to Monday.  Of course, our flights were scheduled to depart Monday. 

Saturday, we headed to the Guggenheim for some indoor exploration, but only two floors were open so the trip was short (about 30 minutes) – we checked the Open schedule 3 times.  We continued to check through lunch, dinner and before the show we decided to see, “Burn the Floor” started (all dancing, amazing, see it if you get a chance).  Finally, at 9pm play resumed.

After the show, we watched the last few minutes of the women’s semi-finals on TV, rechecked the schedule and rebooked our flights (total hassle for me, not for my husband who is flying Alaska).  We head to the semi-finals in a few minutes and it is sunny and warm so far.  Cross your fingers that it stays that way – we are.

%d bloggers like this: